I got Catalyst by Jonah Berger for Christmas last year, and it has been very insightful!
As a marketer, you know the power of persuasion is key to everything we do. And in Jonah Berger’s book, Catalyst, you’ll learn the key psychological principles that drive behaviour change.
The book covers five main ideas:
- Reactance – People don’t like being told what to do, but they love choice
- Endowment – People are embedding in their way of doing things, even if it is longer
- Distance – Information that is too far from someone’s beliefs is too much. Move the information closer to what they already know and play on what they already accept.
- Uncertainty – Clear doubt in people’s mind
- Lack of Evidence – People need physical evidence to clear the fear of the unknown.
But it’s not just about theory – Berger also includes numerous case studies and examples of how to apply these concepts in your marketing strategy. Whether you’re looking to use social proof to boost credibility or compare the USPs of a popular product to a newer one that could earn you more revenue, this book has you covered.
So if you want to take your marketing efforts to the next level, be sure to give Catalyst a read. It just might be the catalyst for your next big breakthrough.